The mission of SWAT is to support the Sheriff’s Office with a tactical response to critical Incidents such as:
- Barricaded subject(s)
- Hostage situations
- Sniper situations
- High-risk apprehension
- High-risk warrant service
- Dignitary protection
- Special assignments
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Response
- Jail Searches
The Sheriff’s Office SWAT Team shall provide the citizens of Jefferson County with a highly trained,versatile unit, available on a 24 hours a day basis, capable of safely and successfully resolving a variety of situations. SWAT members shall maintain the highest degree of professionalism by the following means:
- A deep abiding reverence for human life, resulting in a firm resolve that all possible tactical alternatives be exhausted before employing deadly force.
- A conviction that consistent and intensive training is tantamount to continued success in all operational aspects of the team.
- A commitment to the belief that members of this entity must function as a team.
- That the overall success of each mission is a direct result of individual team members acting in concert with one another.
- An enduring effort by each team member to maintain the high standards of mental and physical health.
- That vital tactical skills be maintained through an ongoing documented training program. A continuing process of honest introspection into workings of the team for the purpose of guarding against complacency and mediocrity.
- Above all, recognition that we are part of a larger organization, the department. That our level of success is dependent, in large measure, on the support of the Sheriff, the department, and all entities within.