Frequently Asked Questions


Find Us!!

How do I get an order of protection?

How much does it cost to have a Civil or Criminal Paper served?

What are my rights as a victim of a crime?

How do I get Victim notifications concerning the status of an Offender?

How do I get an endorsement to carry a concealed weapon?

How do I renew my concealed carry permit?

How can I visit someone in jail?

How do I get a job application for the Sheriffs Office?

How do I gain Missouri P.O.S.T. Certification?

Can I get a list of Registered Offenders from Jefferson County?

Why is an individual no longer required to Register as a Sex Offender still on the Registered Offenders List?

I Think there is a Drug Lab operating in my neighborhood, how do I report it?

Is there a Home Drug Test kit available for concerned parents?

Can I get a DNA Test ?

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
Because of the potential for damage to vehicles the Sheriff's Office does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will send a rescue unit to remove the child from the vehicle.

Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?
No, you may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.

I have left my spouse and am living elsewhere but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the police help me?
The Sheriff's Office will send an officer to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your personal belongings. Call from a public telephone near to where your belongings are, and a Deputy will go to the house with you.  If you have an Ex-Parte order you will need to have your copy with you. Personal belongings means clothing, anything else requires a court order.

Can I make a police report at any time of day and do I need to make an appointment?
The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to any requests for assistance.  You can also call in a report, see next question.

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a Deputy have to come to my house?
Some reports can be taken over the telephone by the Sheriff's Office complaint evaluators. The receiving Deputy that answers your call can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone.  The complaint evaluators are located at the North Zone substation and can be reached at (636) 797-6216 or through 911 dispatch, 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m..

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?
The Sheriff's Office can only tow away vehicles abandoned on public property.

Where are the Zone Offices located?
The North Zone Office is located in High Ridge at the Dillon Plaza Shopping center.  The telephone number for the North Zone Office is (636) 797-6407.

The East Zone Office is located on Windsor Harbor Road off Hwy. 61/67 in Imperial. The telephone number for the East  Zone Office is (636) 797-6405.

The South Zone Office is located in Hillsboro on the campus of Jefferson College.  The telephone number for the South Zone Office is
(636) 797-6118.

What services do the Zone Offices offer?
The North and East Zone Offices offer full service to all residents for record checks, and walk-in complaints.  The North Zone is staffed from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. 7 days a week and can hold prisoners as well as accept bail bonds. The East and South Zones are staffed during daytime business hours and for special events and do not hold prisoners.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?
Call the Jefferson County Sheriffs Office at (636) 797-5301 for information about someone in jail.
For other jail information follow this link:  How can I visit someone in jail?

I do not have any transportation and have to get somewhere. Can a Deputy give me a ride?
Deputies cannot provide rides unless the situation is an emergency or official business.

I need to get a message to someone that does not have a telephone. Can the Sheriff's Office go to the person's home and deliver the message?
The Sheriff's Office can only deliver emergency, life or death, messages.

Why did it take so long for the Deputy to come when I called them last night?
All requests for Sheriff's Office services are assigned to priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property.  At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?
Call the Sheriff's Office Special Operations Unit at (636) 797-5023 and request additional traffic patrol in your area.

How do I apply for a position with the Sheriff's Office?
Call the Sheriff's Office Personnel Division at (636) 797-5022 or e-mail to request an application and employment information.
We keep a current listing of Career opportunities on this web site.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address but you may refuse this information and we will still respond to the report. If the activity is drug related call the Drug Task Force tip line number 636-797-6474 for other activities call the general tip line number 636-797-5518.

How can I evict someone from my property?
Eviction is a legal process that often times requires a court order. Call the Circuit clerk's office at (636) 797-5555 for more information.

What can I do about stray dogs and cats?
Animal Control is the county agency responsible for calls involving dogs and cats. Their number is (636) 797-5574 or 797-5577.

Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my car telephone?
Yes, calls to 911 on a cellular telephone are free. Do not try to pursue the drunk driver or place yourself in any danger. When you call you will be asked for the description of the car, where it is, and the direction it is going.  Cellular calls to 911 do not always go to the Jefferson County 911 Center however you will be transferred.

Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?
Receiving Dispatchers and Deputies are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, a Deputy has already been sent while asking additional questions.




Send mail to Webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2003 Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
Last modified: 01/28/16